03-07-2024, 03:06 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbonze View Post
Hello everyone i need desperate help with my 2007 BMW Z4. At the moment the car will not start unless i keep the key in the ignition for 10-15 mins or if the car is jumped, i changed the key battery, no luck. Battery and alternator have been ruled out because the battery is brand new and the alternator is charging the battery. starter hasnt been ruled out because the car starts intermediately when the starter engages also took a meter to the starter and it has power. some people have said ignition switch, not sure how to test it...BMW wants $245 just to run the diagnosis which is fine just would prefer not to. The code thats coming up at the moment is 2F45 Interface EWS-DME. When i clear the code the car also fires right up but the code has been persistent now and wont allow me to clear it. Absolutely stumped as someone who is mechanically inclined. Any ideas? Should i just bite the bullet and take it in to BMW? Any help is appreciated.
Stupid questions…

1. Is this the case for both keys?
2. Does it only happen on cold starts (i.e. after you get it going, does the car start up fine are you shut off and retry immediately)?
3. Auto or manual?
4. During that 10 min waiting period, what position is the key in?

Our cars are getting to the age where even well-kept examples start succumbing to age related issues, biggest culprit being wiring. I would check wiring connections to DME and EWS to make sure nothing is frayed, loose, etc.