View Single Post
      01-20-2023, 09:40 AM   #3
OneFastMac
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0i

OK
So last night I really dove in to the mess of wiring. I think I understand better where I'm at and how to move forward. At the very least, I've got a temporary fix where I actually have stereo sound playing.

The previous genius that wired everything up had channels 1 & 2 both wired in to channel 2 signal.
Channels 3 & 4 were both wired in to Channel 1
The speaker outs were only wired up as channel 1 and 2 with channels 3 & 4 bridged for the subwoofers... I assume.
The speaker out wires were connected in a way that Channel 1 went to all 5 left speakers and channel 2 went to all 5 right speakers. This is why only channel 2 audio was playing through all 10 speakers.

I rewired channels 1 & 2 to the appropriate inputs so now left and right channels play through left and right speakers. There's still a lot of mess to clean up and because BMW used the same colored speaker wires for different speakers, there is some testing I will have to do.

Going forward I think I will have to replace the cheap-o amplifier as it simply does not have the features needed to power all ten speakers appropriately. I'm going to cut my losses and go for the JBL DSP4086 8 channel amp to give myself more ability to fine-tune the sound to each speaker.

My new question is: Do each set of speakers have their own crossover built in? Or did was the oem HIFI amp a DSP amp and that's why this seems so much more complicated?
Appreciate 0