View Single Post
      06-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Recaro Install Major PITA!

Ordered Recaro Pole Position, Macht Schnell floor mount & receptacle and Recaro side mounts. Sliders are advertised as being "optional" - too bad that's really not the case.

If you don't use sliders, installing the seat in the furthest back hole of the floor mount still does not go very far back. Luckily I'm not very tall but as you can tell by below, there's plenty of room left so this may pose a problem for taller people. I'm 5'8" and sit very upright...

On a positive note, I found $2.35 in change underneath my seat. Thanks to the folks at GT Motoring who stayed on the phone during after hours to help with the install. Crappy iPhone pic:

Update:

So I ended up installing the Recaro sliders since I was able to buy them second hand pretty cheap. For anyone else considering these seats I highly recommend installing sliders. Even if you'll be the only one driving your car, you simply do not have enough legroom without the sliders. Using the MS floormounts very last hole yielded only the legroom you see above (note how much space behind the seat is unused). The sliders allow you to maintain that oem range.

Also, because the sliders give you about an extra inch of height, you are able to install the seat furthest right, or closest to the trans tunnel. Before the sliders, I wasn't able to use the last slot of holes on the right because the receptacle was in the way of the trans tunnel. The trans tunnel is wider towards the bottom but the slider now gives the clearance necessary to use that last slot. This allows you to sit centered with the steering wheel.

AND lastly, without the sliders, although I didn't mind sitting that low, I didn't like how the stock seatbelt harness was closer to my neck. I'd constantly have to fiddle with it. But now that I'm back at the stock-ish height, it's further away from my neck and closer to my shoulder area.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 12-10-2013 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0