View Single Post
      08-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #16
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Have you listened to any of the lower cost options (Magnaflow or Stromung)? I'm a little less concerned with drone because I had a pretty loud setup on my last Miata and also I never drive below mid 2K's on the M and that seems to be the drone target. But I also want that off throttle burble. That is just so cool to me. This weekend I was behind a '69 Camaro Z28 with a nice exhaust setup and when that guy came off it to shift I almost wet my pants!

Now I know that's the extreme, but come on..gimme some burble!!!
It's all a game of give and take...what's that saying? Cheap, fast, reliable...pick two! Same thing kinda for exhaust...cheap, loud, no drone...also pick two.

As far as intakes go, I've only had experience with OEM, AFE dry, and GruppeM, and the three sound very different than each other. I did a write up somewhere in this section of the forum comparing the three in terms of sound, performance, etc. For the OP, I'd stay away from the ebay one and look for AFE as your lowest cost alternative. I am still amazed to this day how different AFE and GruppeM sound even though in theory they are the same exact thing. I'd imagine that the ebay intake sounds different than all the ones mentioned above.

For exhausts, if you guys haven't already checked out our exhaust fest comparison video you should, it's a good start to gauge what sounds like what. My cheap system pops and gurgles like mad which is awesome, but also has drone for a couple of hundred RPM between 2.5-3K. Every once in a while when I get tired of the drone and consider muting down my system a bit with some CC inserts, all I have to do is let off the gas and listen to the pops and gurgles and it makes what drone is there totally worth it.

I'd say if you don't want to go full resonator system like mine (cheap version of RPI basically) then a magnaflow will probably yield some good results. Drone can be dampened a bit by using dynamat or some other deadening material in the trunk, and I'm sure the DKF hangars can help as well (I have some on hand but have been too busy to get them installed), but I highly doubt you will get cheap, loud, and no drone all in one package.
Appreciate 0