View Single Post
      05-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #78
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
gferil- can you explain what a generic resonator is and how I would go about getting this done? It sounded pretty cool to me. The price is sure right.
Well...basically, I worked with a local exhaust shop to create a custom system for me. I spent a lot of time talking to the owner and explaining what I was going for and he gave me some options. At first we were trying to do a Borla system using their universal cans, but the fab work was just too much for me, and he felt that the Magnaflow route wouldn't be loud enough for what I was looking for, so I suggested the Aero Turbine setup, which I first saw and heard here on the forums. As we were looking online to get more info on the Aero's, he said, "dude, I got some generic resonators that do basically the same thing, at a much cheaper price."

So really, they are just the standard muffler shop resonator that they have on hand for normal exhaust applications. Your best bet is to go to your local shop that you trust, have them pull up the Aero website and they can let you know what they have on hand that is similar.

I'm going to try and hit up the shop next week (I used to work right across the street from it, but we just moved offices this week and now I'm a whole 4 blocks away! Hahah) and ask him for more details. I'm also going to ask if he can fab some systems to sell to you guys if there is enough interest.

Also, KEY thing is to definitely Dynamat the trunk if you are going to go this route, as there is a lot of drone present. If you Dynamat just the horizontal floor of the trunk it gets rid of a good amount, but there is still lots of boom around 3K, so the back vertical wall of the trunk should also be done, this really tamed the boom, but there is still some drone around 2.8K. I'm actually going to try and do the side vertical walls, and possibly Dynamat some of the plastic and carpet pieces to see if it helps. Dynamat is a lot lighter than most people think so you're not adding that much weight, plus the weight savings of the resonators vs. stock is a lot more than all the Dynamat.

Oh, and since I've installed this system the little center cubby storage has started to rattle during certain RPM's. The system is really bassy, it shakes the floor boards and you can "feel" the exhaust through your feet (I actually had an owner of a Maserati comment how cool it was that she could feel the rumble of the exhaust through the floor...and this was coming from someone that owns a Maserati!) So be prepared to start finding and fixing rattles if you go this route.

Overall though, am super happy with this system. At first the drone was too much for me, but as I started putting more and more Dynamat it has tamed down the interior and still sounds awesome with the windows down.

I'm thinking of adding CC inserts (I actually have the 2 disk versions sitting in my desk drawer as we type this) just to see what happens, but I have a feeling it will tame the system too much...but might as well try just to see right?
Appreciate 0