View Single Post
      09-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Just received my Strong Strut bars this past week from the group buy. I guessed I'm the first to received this? So...I'll be your guinea pig on the install Here are a few tips when installing your bars. The cross bar gave me a few minor issues while the firewall bars were a breeze.

1. If those of you that haven't received your bars yet, be sure to ask Paul to ship you some extra washers (8 more to be exact) or just send some thicker washers - My kit only shipped with 6 washers. I had to head out to the hardware store to get some extra 5/16" washers.

2. You'll first have to remove the small capscrew on each shock tower dome (not sure why Strong Strut didn't just drill out a hole on the strut tower rings to accommodate this as most other strut bars that I've used in the past always have a hole to clear this small capscrew).

3. Add one washer to the strut stud (closest to the engine) prior to installing the strut tower ring (see picture). Otherwise, the strut tower ring won't sit flush on the strut tower (due to the small hump on the firewall brace receiver). Strong Strut should consider modifying the design to provide more clearance for this hump.

4. I had to use 2 washers per stud, otherwise, the acorn nuts will bottom out (I have OEM struts). The installation instructions even called out for 2 washer per stud, but for some reason, my kit only came with 1 washer per stud. Personally, I would rather use the OEM flange nut without the need of washers. But the counterbore of the rings were not large enough to let me use the OEM style nuts (I already bought 6 of these and was somewhat disappointed that I couldn't use them)

The firewall braces are very straight forward...just remove the OEM and re-install the Strong Strut in place of them.

The quality of the bars are excellent, but can't say that I'm 100% happy with the installation. I just don't like the idea of using washers on the strut tower studs. It would be much better to provide the option of using the OEM style flange nuts...this would require redesigning a larger strut tower ring to accommodate a slightly larger counterbore for the OEM style nuts.
Why wouldn't you purchase the BMW one?
Appreciate 0