View Single Post
      06-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

BMW Mini Aux-In

For the Aux-in I didn't want it to be in the ash tray, as that would mean leaving it open whenever I'm using it. I wanted something a little cleaner/more stealth.

So instead of buying the Z4 Aux-In I bough the one for the mini (Part Number 82 11 0 153 367).

The first step is to remove the AC vents. This tends to be the most troublesome part of the installation. To make it easier, I suggest you get 4 of these nylon soldering tools:

Using two of these nylon tools to wedge the clips that secure the AC vents, you can then use your remaining two sticks to pry on each side. Finally tug the whole unit firmly forward and it'll come out. There are horror stories of removing this part, so take your time and do it carefully. With this method I managed to do it in 2-3 minutes without scratching anything.

After this remove the cover that goes under the AC Controls, and drill a hole in it. Make sure you place the panel over a piece of wood and drill slowly so you end up with nice edges. Use a drill bit slightly smaller than the threads of the Aux In so that it fits snuggly.

Test fitting (make sure you don't tighten it until you install it).

If you have nav + bluetooth, your radio will already have a connector. The front connector is the one that came with the part, the back connector was the one that was already installed.

Remove the cover from the connector (the front connector has the cover half off).

Then take out the pins one by one and merge them into the existing connector.

Here it is after fully merging it.

And final result. It's pretty stealth in that you can't see it from the normal seating position.

Last edited by beta; 10-10-2012 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0