View Single Post
      04-24-2013, 02:36 AM   #11
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Guys, thank you for the input.

I went back to the email original files, downloaded, and re-uploaded. Rick's and Rican's photo appear better--at least to my untrained eye. Nothing could be done for ZHPZ4's as it's only 73 kb. ZheHbKa's photo had to be manually resized as the site uploader wouldn't upload it as it was too large. (The uploader seems to make decisions on compression on its own in some cases.) According to the rules I could have just tossed it, but I was tired, didn't want to exclude anyone, and just wanted to get things uploaded and done.

I apologize if mistakes on my part have affected the outcome or enjoyment of participants and viewers. To avoid this in the future, a strict reading of the "submission must be 800 x 600 rule" will be observed*. That keeps the playing field level, and ensures that the submission process and photos accurately reflect the submitter's intent and editing decisions. Nothing I can do if the uploader decides to compress things on it's own however, which it seems to do for the larger file size of the spectrum it will accept.

*The limit on files size seems to be 1600 x 1200, and from experience, about 750KB max. 800 x 600 was originally selected to correspond to the typical monitor size and screen resolution IIRC. I'm sure many of the photos--ever those without obvious compression issues--would benefit from a larger file amount of data (e.g. file size), or even a larger photo size like 1600 x 1200. Most shots I take are 4 to 5 MB in size, and lose a lot of detail when reduced to something that can be uploaded to a thread. I don't see way around that. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0