View Single Post
      07-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

VT2-500 install/build/impressions thread

Thread summary:

Initially I had issues because a silicone coupler supplied with the kit was a bit short. ESS confirmed that others haven't had this issue, but Beedub and Iphoneengineer both did. Ordered a better coupler, and the issue was solved.

Then it took me 2 weeks to figure out that the people who installed the headers, reversed my primary and secondary o2 sensors. This was causing limp mode issues at full throttle. It also ruined one of my sensors, which had to be replaced.

100 miles after the sensors were installed properly, the car dynoed at a relatively weak 370rwhp (stage 1 kit territory). http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...=558729&page=6 It was hot outside, and I drove an hour to the shop, so that may have contributed to some of the issues. The shop's mechanical boost gauge showed 8psi at redline, but the power line isn't very smooth.

Right now I ordered a set of new spark plugs, OEM, hoping to fix the power issue, as running with bad o2 sensors for about 800 miles probably messed them up. Also, the car has been going into limp mode sometimes at full throttle in second gear, and throwing a throttle position code. I verified that the throttle bodies are not obstructed, and reset the throttle adaptation. Will have to drive it through a few cycles to see if that fixed it. If not, its likely a $100 tps sensor that has a minor voltage spike like 20% of the time.

The car feels very strong, even at 370rwhp. People ordering stage 1 and getting this power should be pretty happy, but I paid for more, and its only a matter of time before we hit the 420rwhp mark and up

8/17/11: With new spark plugs and a new throttle position sensor, the car pulls much harder and is probably hitting at least 420rwhp. Boost gauge was installed, and I'm getting to 9psi at 8000rpm
9/15/11: Dynoed at 380rwhp a week ago, which is low, but gained about 30hp by flattening out a dip at low rpms that was showing on the first dyno. Boost gauge has been tricking everyone, including the dyno operator, who insisted that I'm hitting 8psi. This was because at redline, it always spikes 2psi. Car spent all week with a really good tech, who found a leak at the 45* intake elbow because my clamp was on too tight, verified with a 10psi pressurized smoke tester. Water/meth was cleanly installed, but he ordered a machine shop to make a bung for it so that its a leak-proof install. So everything is hooked up but the nozzle. The water/meth tank was mounted on the firewall for better weight distribution. Pics to follow next week.

Did a few pulls to redline and most of the time the car hit 8psi (finally showing 10psi on over-rev, not 8 as before). The temps are in the 60s, and not the 80s as before the boost leak fix, but the car feels stronger, and even with traction on, the back end is struggling much more to stay straight. The LSD is working double overtime. Car also sounds a little louder. I also found a backup tuner for the meth, at an expensive rate, but if it'll need tuning I'll do it, because I doubt ESS would tune it for the meth. An extra 02 bung will be installed in about 2 weeks, to get a/f ratios on the dyno next time.

vbox numbers with 1 foot rollout:

0-60 in 4.2 seconds
50-70 in 2.0 seconds

Last edited by ZStig; 12-22-2011 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0