Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.2mc View Post
yeah... by cold I mean below zero F.

I worked for BMW NA from 2005 to 2015. the CCV is definitely a weak point. the ignition coils are also poorly designed (Remi's fault, not BMW's... the Bosch replacements are fine).

it's also possible, that Canadian cars had the heated and insulated CCV parts from the get-go. I'm only familiar with the US spec cars where regardless of where in the US the car was purchased, it has the "Hot Climate" pkg codes. even of the car has the "Cold Weather" add-on pkg. along with coding for additional HVAC throughput, this code also modifies some oil coolers (talking brand-wide, not looking only at E85/6), so it's not a far leap of logic to think the cars here in the states may have less insulation on oil vapor lines as well.

edit: the CCV deal for the N52 isn't a big deal like it was for the M54... it won't cause the engine to hydrolock... just have excessive oil consumption.
My car was imported from Florida, so its a US spec car. like I say, its been running perfectly since I got it.

I should point out that N52 lifter noise was a big issue on this forum in 2009 so I made sure to ask about it before I bought the car. The dealer in Florida told me that the car already had extensive work done on the cylinder head so the lifter noise issues was likely fixed before I got the car. In any event, the car sounds fine, even when I start it when the temperature is almost at 0C / 32F.

Good to know re the Bosch ignition coils being a good choice over OEM (unless they have converted to Bosch now).

What is a rough cost for a new and improved CCV?

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0