View Single Post
      05-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #29
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I went with the kenwood kvt-514. I have the bluetooth, navi, and even traffic thing ordered. The headunit install looks VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY straight forward. You literally just need to buy a harness and splice into it and use the antennae adapter. The hardest part about the head unit it seems is to have to run all the wires to the kenwood components.

The speaker wiring is also very straight forward it seems. Apparently you can even use the wiring from the stock amp (according to "Reach"). It's been stated that you have to unclip the speaker wires from the stock amp anyways other wise you will have popping noises. The thing is you still need to keep the stock amp to keep the antennae functioning i believe.

My plan of attack will be:

1.) to run rca cables/remote line from stock head unit to amp,
2.) hook up amp to the battery
3.) run the lines from front mids to the head unit, run lines from rear mids to head unit. 4.) Unclip all the speaker wires from the rear amp harness, and tap the remaining 6 to the amp (tape up the 4 front/rear speaker wires that i ran new lines to).
5.) profit?

It's simple in theory, but if you look at your car, there's not much space lol. Hiding the wires and taping up everything will probably take the most time. Reach said it took him about 15 hours total and it was his first time doing it...

I'm not sure about the steering wheel controls. I honestly haven't looked into it, but as I get closer I will. That might be stage 2 for me along with replacing speakers if it annoys me enough. Has anyone documented the wires for the steering wheel wiring yet?
Appreciate 0