View Single Post
      03-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Those "clauses" in the insurance policies does not and will not stand up to scrutiny. All they're there for is to scare you from doing something fun like driving schools.

I have yet to witness a single incident with the BMW CCA that wasn't covered by each respective party's insurance company. Obviously who you choose to do your event with will have ramifications on whether or not the insurance will carry out their responsibilities. When you have the event organizers and the chief instructors going to bat for you pro-actively with your insurance company it helps a lot to get most incidents covered.

HAVING SAID THAT.

There's an old saying, that if you can't afford to write it off, you can't afford to track it. So if you can't just shrug and walk away, you probably shouldn't track it. Now, if you having DE insurance helps ease your mind about writing it off? By all means. Get it. I know of quite a few A/B level drivers who get it just for their peace of mind (strangely, those are the types that will not have an off-course incident in a million years). Of course, there are quite a few not so A/B level drivers that are just waiting to write off their car every time they get on a track too.

To me, there's some value to going with the BMW CCA events since they're so strict and the curriculum well designed to keep your average attendees safe. There's probably a reason why most of these HPDE insurances ran a huge discount if you're doing BMW CCA schools because they know their exposure to liability and payoff is insignificant, therefore every dime they take from you is pure profit in their pocket (again, in our region there has yet been a single incident where the car's primary insurance didn't pick up the bill).
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0