06-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #56
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by donoman View Post
Gotcha. So are you running -2.8* and 1/16 toe out in front, -2.6* and 1/8 toe in on rear now? How is your tire life? My Z4M is a weekend driver. I guess you can say I'm trying to dial in as much rear camber as possible without chewing up the tires before 10K miles.

I used a camber gauge last night and I'm probably running 2.0-2.2* in the rear already. I'm not sure what 0.5* is going to give me ... actually I do.

S = r*theta where r ~= 18.0 (rim dia.) + 2.0 (tire sidewall) and theta = 0.5*(pi/180) = 20*8.726E-3 = 0.175 inch ... 4.45 mm

hrm... 4.45 mm is a lot!

A good rule of thumb, then, is that 1.0* of rear camber can yield approx 9mm of top-of-tire clearance. Sorry, I just nerded out.
And they said we wouldn't use math in real life....

From a personal experience standpoint I used to run 3.0* to 3.2* of camber on my rear wheels and they ended up lasting around 11-14k miles as a daily driver. I believe I got a little more out of contis over some of the nittos and yokes that I frequented, but keep in mind I was also running a little over a full degree of toe as well. (My rear was a black hole of issues on my Z3). Additionally this was on smaller tires for some time (245s) and at the end I wound up pushing around 16k miles out of a set of 275s. Not sure if there was any real correlation between tire size, but rim size definitely played a factor there.

Anyways thought I would share, enjoy the low life.
Appreciate 0