04-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #46
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Coupe(S54) and Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Corner balancing only requires VERY small adjustment on, at most, 2 corners out of 4. You're talking about a couple of turns of the collar at best.
Since the height adjustments are made on the collars which are inboard of the wheels, they effectively work on a lever arm at a point shorter than the full length of the lever itself, therefore a couple of turns of the collar which move vertically by, say, 4mm, is amplified at the wheel arch to give a height difference of possibly 10mm or so. This will affect rake angle. I have adjustable suspension on both my Z3MC and Z4MC so I'm talking from experience of making adjustments.

Quote:
The next thing I want y'all to do, is go out and measure the height of the chassis right in front of the rear wheel, and right behind the front wheel. Tell me what the difference is there. Then I want you to measure the clearance between the mid point of the front bumper to the ground, then measure the midpoint of the REAR valance to the ground. And tell me the difference there.

I'm willing to bet even on OP's car, the rear valance clearance is inches higher than the front.
There's an obvious difference in height between the lip of the front and rear valences, where the rear valence is higher, as is generally the case on most cars. The rake angle has nothing to do with that: it's all about the relationship of the floor pan to the road beneath.

Quote:
even if you set the rear axel height of the car lower, the front facia is still much lower than the rear opening. And it's hard to set the car so far out of wack that the rear of the car is LOWER than the front, since the rear of the car is several inches higher than the front to begin with.
Again, rake angle has nothing to do with the difference in heights of the lips of the front and rear valences.

Quote:
And I am going to address your last point by pointing out you're looking at a picture taken with what likely is a wider angle lens commonly found on cell phones. At an angle. Which typically exaggerates the dimensions of objects closer to you and diminishes those same dimensions of objects far away from you. If you can accurately say that his car has zero rake from a simple picture taken by a simple camera posted on a simple forum, I applaud you for your super human deduction skills. Because frankly, I can't see it.
Look at the photo the OP uses of his car in all his posts, surely you can see that the car seems to squat at the rear? Anyway, let's ask the OP to measure the height of the cills of his car to see what they actually are.

If you think that rake angle has no effect on performance try telling that to Adrian Newey, the designer of Red Bull FI cars.
Appreciate 0