View Single Post
      03-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #33
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
That's a fine thought but I doubt that you will succeed with your friendly BMW dealer service department in that request. The SIB refers to bolts that have failed; it doesn't include preventive maintenance on bolts that MIGHT fail at some future date. There was a very vocal debate on a different forum last year with engineers and all sorts of self styled "experts" weighing in on the subject, and I was ridiculed for my contention that the design is marginally engineered and prone to failure. Strangely, BMW had more defenders than accusers, and there seemed to be a gullible belief that this alleged "heat exposure" caused these failures. I personally think that is total BS, which BMW has been known to perpetrate in the past when they screw up and don't want to admit it. The argument used by the opposition was that these are the same engine mounts used in the E46 M3, and they don't have a problem. My argument was that inferior parts and workmanship in Spartanburg took a marginally engineered system over the edge into a failure prone system. I think that history has proven me to be at least partially correct. Anyway, forget about the dealer. They won't help you unless you have broken or loose bolts. Replace them yourself with higher grade bolts using the DIY I posted above. If this is beyond the level that you want to work on a car, take it to a race shop of which there are several excellent ones in the Atlanta area. Or, just to be nice (which I don't get any credit for usually), send me a PM and we can arrange a day when you can drive down to my house (about 1 1/2 hours from Atlanta) and I will replace them for you. I have plenty of spare bolts since I had to buy them in bulk from McMaster Carr.
I have no illusions about BMW stepping up to the plate and taking care of the bolt issue - I just happen to agree with you that the OEM bolts are likely failure prone and they should have done a replacement on all Z4M's. I appreciate the offer and may just take you up on it as I do not have the proper gear to do the work at my home.
Appreciate 0