View Single Post
      11-29-2016, 06:31 PM   #1
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I don't often agree with people, but when I do...

THIS.

The only thing I don't necessarily agree with in this article, is the "next bracket" argument. There are people who modify just to modify. There's some really odd enjoyment out of it. I am one of those guys (although not necessarily on cars). I recently bought a late model Lenovo laptop for my wife and started immediately tearing it apart, literally de-atomizing it and putting it back together as a MAC. My friends ask me "why?" My answer is "because I can."

For the amount of time and money I spent into this, I probably could have bought the new MacBook Pro, which has better hardware than the laptop I got. There's no denying that what I am doing makes no sense. But I like it. And I can do it.

Sometimes you ask the people who would take, I dunno, say, an old E36 M3 and turn it into a stripped out speed demon with a turbocharged S65 dropped in, why they do it. It's the same reason. Because they can. And they enjoy it.

Really there's no arguing against that, and from a value perspective, it makes no sense. Heck, if I'm ballah enough I would LOVE to drop a Dinan stroked S65 in my MZ4 Coupe. I think that's the way it's meant to come. Sort of fits within my "tinkerer*" mentality anyway.

* Okay, so this is going to sound weird. I have an 8 year old daughter, which automatically makes me an expert on all things Disney. This is the reason why I know this. Tinker Bell, in Peter Pan, has her own "franchise" from Disney. It is explained that her name is Tinker Bell because in the Disney Fairies mythology, she's a Tinker because she likes to tinker.

I know, really useless and odd bit of knowledge. It's just that, whenever I type or see the word(s) "tinker" and "tinkerer" I think of how Tinker Bell got her name.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0