View Single Post
      02-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #40
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebluemcm View Post
This is THE take home message of this entire thread so far. This always seems to be the case - signs were there and not looked into thoroughly enough. We'll see what the failure was hopefully, maybe it'll turn out to be something random that wouldn't have given any clue even on visual inspection, we'll see. Someone mentioned that the car in my avatar had a brake failure to result in a multiple endo crash, and this is correct, and an example of how lucky the OP is. After the wreck, we were informed that the pedal had gone nearly to the floor earlier in the lap, but then pressure did normalize for subsequent turns until it was just suddenly gone at a very bad time (150+ at the end of a straightaway). The "moral" of the story here is that a normally functioning brake system will not do severely weird things without something substantial being wrong. Certain predictable things will happen as brakes wear during a session or race, but they are predictable. If anything happens that is out side of these predictable changes or sensations, the best thing is to have an abundance of caution and fully inspect the system; reckless abandon, assuming "oh, it'll be fine", can result in just barely skirting through a gate (best case scenario) or worse (total loss of a car)..... In a race, I can see trying to continue on because it's a race... In a non-racing situation, there is no legitimate reason to not stop, pull wheels and inspect the system if anything out of the ordinary happens.
Noted. Will be on the lookout for these signs when I track for the first time ever in a few months

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0