View Single Post
      10-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #30
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

I'm an idiot. Even though there is voltage protection they plainly say not to use a trickle charger on their batteries. I am just glad I didn't burn my car down. I am not sure if I will buy another one. After further reading there are too many limitations with the battery as far as charging and jump starting. Here is info from their site:

Can you jump start a dead lithium ion battery?

No. Lithium ion batteries are especially susceptible to cell damage when they are empty. A good lithium ion charger will actually “soft start” and roll the output current back when it detects a lithium ion battery at a very low SOC. This being the case, jump starting would send an uncontrolled amperage into a very low lithium ion battery. Bad idea. Don’t do that. Use a lithium ion battery charger or a 12V AGM charger at its lowest setting (1~2A) and slow charge the Lithium Pros battery back to 20% SOC. After that it can be charged like normal.

Do I have to buy a special charger?

Not really. 12V Lithium Pros batteries can be charged with any voltage regulated battery charger without a desulfation mode. Trickle chargers should not be used. AGM type battery chargers are highly recommended since the finishing voltage is regulated and typically lower than for a flooded lead acid battery. At no time should the battery charger exceed the max amperage and voltage rating on the battery.

Last edited by Jumbosock; 10-26-2012 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0