03-31-2013, 10:27 PM   #18
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax008 View Post
I have the 3.0I, It's good to know regarding the 130k. I just did take the Prius to NJ, I'm taking the car in for it's first service with 4567 miles on it and I haven't even made my first payment yet. That's my concern.
The only maintenance items required at 5K miles on the Prius are:

Rotate tires
Check fluid levels (something that should be done every 1K miles or monthly on any car)
Check brake pads (hardly a concern with regenerative braking, but easy to take a peek at)

10K adds an oil change and cabin air filter change--DIY in parts is probably less than 50 bucks. (Heck, I'd do now too at 5K since the engine was breaking in--I'm obsessive that way and believe in break-in oil changes--preferably at 2.5K miles on a car like this.)

You could probably get your local tire store to do the rotation for 50 bucks if you don't have the tools to do it at home. I'm betting the stealership would charge 200-250 for "service" at 5K which is 5 min in labor. 10K 'service" is 50 dollars max in parts and 15 min in labor. Probably 400 dollars at the stealer.

My friend's 2003 3 series BMW just hit 200K miles. Clutch needed replacement at 150K or so; otherwise it's in great shape and running strong. The Z should be fine assuming you care for it correctly. That means oil changes for "normal" use at 7.5K (not 15K), replacing the coolant, brake fluid, and other "lifetime" fluids (differential and transmission) at around 50K.Do those things again at 100K, and the car will last a good long time. Fluid changes are the best thing you can do to keep the car in good condition for an easy 200K+ life. If you can't DIY, find a good BMW indie shop that can change out these so-called "lifetime" fluids and you'll have a car that's fun, joyful, and emotive for a long time.
Appreciate 0