Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
My 2006 Coupe came with an AGM ...
What battery group is it? My car has a group 47/H5. I tried purchasing a group 48/H6 as others said they were a direct replacement, but the the battery was too long for my factory brackets. I don't recall the details, but it wasn't a simple matter of sliding an adjustment to allow the larger battery to fit (I would rather not have returned it).

The group 47/H5 is 9 9/16 long, the 48/H6 is 11 inches long. The height (7.5) and width (6 7/8) are the same.

If I look up the replacement using Canadian Tire's parts locator, it returns the H5 size. If I use the US sites for O'Reilly or Auto Value they return both Grp 48/H6 and Grp 47/H5 as possible replacements. If I use the US Walmart battery lookup, it returns H5 only. I tried multiple years and M/non-M variants where possible.

It appears people should double check their existing battery dimensions before making a purchase ...
I also went with the longer sized battery. There was a insert in the battery well of my 2004 Z4 3.0i which I took out (specifically installed by BMW for this reason) which allows the longer battery to be installed. It only took me a few seconds to remove the insert....once I realized how it clips in. The battery harness is designed on my car to accept either battery.