11-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
wheres the oil temp sensor? bummer that the oil needs to be drained and this is a common part to fail on these engines.
It looks like it's located at the bottom of the pan but I haven't checked it out myself. If that's the case, it's really not too bad. #14 below:

Did some more research and found this info on another forum regarding S54 oil level/temp sensor, and how it determines the oil temp. Thought it was interesting, so adding to this thread in case anyone comes across it in time to come.

Quote:
As far as I remember, that sensor works like a MAF; electricity passes through it which heats the element. The oil tries to cool it; then the computer calculates the temp difference and converts it to oil level (the more you dip it in oil, the cooler it will be, if the oil is low then less cooling). The computer knows what the temp is supposed to be if there was not any oil and the temp of the oil as the sensor is dipped into it. Hope this makes sense to you.
Also found this interesting:

Quote:
yes that is correct, also worth noting that if you carry out an oil change and leave the ign switched on you are in danger of burning out the level sensor

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0