08-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #43
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
I might have missed it, but does anyone have a DIY on tapping into the power source that runs the interior lights? I just got my angel eyes installed from Tekarbon, but want the fade in/out feature when I unlock/lock the car and/or when I open/close the doors, etc.
I've had this done on my E46 before, but I don't remember much at all from the install, especially since I didn't DIY it at the time. I recall that the E46's angel eyes used a universal wiring harness, and part of that wiring bunch was a longer extension that would be fed through the firewall and tapped into the interior lighting source.
I'm wondering if anyone has info on how to do this for the Z4s specifically?
I did this in my DIY. It requires a wiring harness with a relay - $20 from Umnuzia. I dont think this is installed with Tekarbon mod'ed H/L's. The single wire external to the H/L's is attached to a ignition switched positive line. I kinda doubt this is a relay trigger - although its possible. You would need to pop one or probably both open to see. When you look at them the LED wiring should be kinda obvious. I you dont see a relay attached to them then no-go.
I discuss how to use a harness w/relay in the last parts of the DIY. Its not hard. The PITA is crawing up under your dash on the driver side.
Good Luck
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0