01-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #30
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Coupe(S54) and Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamak View Post
My answer was specifically to the redbull F1 raked car and HACK's post, not attacking exdos or his knowledge.
I don't like the term "rake", or "adjusting rake", i like "corner balancing".
Tikamak,

Likewise, I'm not attacking you in answering your replies.

I'm afraid that we have to use the conventional terminology between ourselves so that we can exchange information and discuss our opinions. The term "rake" simply expresses the angle that the plane of the underside of the car makes with the road. It is highly relevant to the aerodynamic configuration of vehicles. If by "corner balancing" a vehicle you end up lowering the rear end of the car so that the plane of the underside of the car makes a "negative rake angle" (i.e. you can see the underside of the car when looking from the front of the car) you will increase drag and consequently increase aerodynamic lift. This will both slow the car down and reduce grip. Therefore, why would anyone wanting to improve the performance of a car wish to prefer to think solely in terms of corner balancing whilst at the same time choosing to ignore the importance of rake? I'm not wishing to be argumentative, just trying to be objective and logical.
Appreciate 0