View Single Post
      05-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #18
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjw View Post
This is all very depressing. Seems everywhere I turn, I'm reading about people with tunes causing more problems than they fix. Have recently seen threads with dynos showing high-rpm power dropping off for ESS, AA, and Evolve tunes. Makes me wonder whether best to just stay stock after adding my headers? Wonder how much I'd really be giving up...? Any thoughts? Don't have time to constantly dyno/adjust. And if a tune is needed to really get the benefit of the headers, maybe I'll just skip those as well...
My car broke 300WHP on the stock tune and lost power wth the evolve. I have not seen a single dyno, NOT EVEN ONE, showing a power gain from a tune on Z4M. This car is NOT and E46 M3, doesn't tune like one, produces more WHP stock than en E46 M3, and from where I am sitting it's impossible to make gains from a tune. I will dyno my car again with the stock tune and log AFR in the coming months. I suspect you will find that with Euro headers and the stock tune you have near perfect AFR for optimum power.

Per ESS the timing curves on the US Spec Z4M are more agressive than the Euro spec cars to start with so you probably can't adjust upward there and gain anything. All that leaves is fuel, and considering that the OEM fuel map was based on O2 readings from a more restictive manifold, with the Euro headers you are already leaning out the curve. Every time I have dynoed my car I get 299-301WHP on a dynojet with the stock tune.

This brings the question: "With this car, maybe less is more"?
Appreciate 0