View Single Post
      07-03-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

hi, even though I sold my Z4, Its good I log in to see if I can still help out. As in the case here.

For the location of the amp, its best to state what type of stereo you have, being the basic, the premium or the carver/business class system.

For my car with the Carver system (and I think with the premium as well) the amp for the stereo is right beside the battery, basically you have to pull off that rectangular cover lying flat between your tail-lights in your trunk. From there the amp sits upright parallel to your battery. Hopefully its not that as that would be VERY costly to replace with a new one, probably several hundred dollars at least. You can opt to find a used one from a bmw wrecker (try www.car-part.com for that) but its tough to say.

There wouldn't be a loose wire, as then the tweeter would cut out very sporadically, not just when the stereo is cranked. Much would be he same with the dampness, as in if the new tweeter didn't do anything I cant see this being the case.

Which leads me to believe if it isn't the amp itself, there may be a crossover. Whereas the amp sends a full range audio single, and the sound is broken up via a crossover.
I'd call the parts department and see if there is in fact a crossover between the amp and the tweeter, since I'd assume you have a blown component in the crossover itself, such as a fried resistor or the like, or perhaps a faulty solder.

Its tough to say, as I've never dabbled with the full range or tweeters in my car so Im going by experience that I have from other cars, but its worth a check.
Let me know what you find out and we'll go from there.