Thread: Vanos Upgrade
View Single Post
      09-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
Kapt
Rep
Drives: 535is

Vanos Upgrade

I just completed a complete Beisan upgrade of my Vanos to include a new oil pump, solenoid, anti-rattle kit, and seal kit. The step by step tutorial on the Beisan site is top notch along with their product and packaging. The instructions on their website are for the E46 chassis and some important differences exist for our Z cars (E86 in this case) because of the proximity of the front bulkhead to the Vanos. I hope to point out the differences as a supplement to the Beisan instructions.

The only special tools needed are the camshaft alignment tool for the S54 and a locking pin for the crankshaft. Note the locking pin has to be shortened because of our bulkhead.

The electric fan needs to be removed. A long screw on the left and a plastic rivet on the right (left=pax side, right=drivers) plus 2 electrical connectors are all that hold the fan in place. It pulls up and out.

A plastic cable holder for the hood latch that is directly behind the Vanos needs to be removed.

The general order of Vanos removal is solenoid first followed by the Vanos unit. There is plenty of room to unscrew the unit from the splined shafts. Note the long bolts holding the top corners of the Vanos are two of the solenoid bolts (previously removed) that act as supports while unscrewing the Vanos. The shiny tube in the middle is the oil flow regulator. It cannot be removed with the Vanos unit because of bulkhead clearance so leave it in the head for later removal or it can be removed now, just don't drop it in the timing area. On installation, it is installed first into the head before the Vanos is installed.

Note the position of the splined shafts, critical to timing during reassembly.

Part of this procedure is to replace the camshaft sprocket sleeve bolts that can back out. This requires removal of the sprocket hubs. Once the hubs are removed, the engine timing needs to be reset/checked. My bolts were the updated ones, but I replaced/locktited them anyway.

Chain guide also replaced.

These are most of the old parts that were replaced during the procedure.

My next thread will be on Vanos installation.
Appreciate 0