04-27-2014, 06:06 PM   #35
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Scott View Post
Before I get to the driving experience, let mepreface it by saying that I hate car dealers and I don't particularly like having the salesperson riding with me. This is a 2-seater and I went to see it by myself, but I have a feeling that had I gone with my wife or daughter they would have still wanted to drive with me and leave my wife/daughter at the curb. CarMax seems to have some "policy" where the salesperson claims that they have to drive the car out of the gates, and then they'll switch places with you. I wonder if they have that little story just so they can have an excuse to go on the ride with you. Meh. So I start out and the guy is giving me directions. The whole thing results in a very short test drive, and with the salesperson with me, I also didn't feel comfortable putting it through its paces. So one bad mark against CarMax there. The CarMax experience also ended on a sour note. They offered me $9000 for my SC430, which was about $2500-3000 less than the KBB value for a dealer trade-in.
I have always gotten low ball offers from Carmax but I still take it in because it gives me a baseline to work with. Personally I find the sales people at Carmax pretty laid back and not very pushy at all. I would much rather go test drive something at Carmax than a dealer. I'm in and out in no time. As for the guy being in the car, that has been the case on every test drive I have ever been on except maybe 1. Personally makes no difference to me, I will drive the car how I please regardless, after all, I'm the one buying it.

I will say at least with the Z4M (may differ for the none M versions), you have to really open it up to get a feel for it. If you are just driving on city streets never getting close to redline then you are missing out. So if you have issues driving it "hard" with the sales rep then I would definitely suggest getting a solo test drive somewhere else.
Appreciate 0