11-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #23
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipman View Post
My question is: is it possible to create a bulge that goes over the center console, instead of through it?
I'll try and describe what I mean. The pipes are about as close to the bulkhead as possible behind each of the seats, would you be able to build a "C" shape to attach the left and right sides to each other but have it come over the center console.
My first impression is that this could be a weak point in structure in the event of a squeeze crash, but if it was strong enough, it might be able to counteract that force. But my impression is the rollover event is more what a cage is for.
I'm really just thinking aloud, and no nothing about building cages so figured I'd put my thoughts out there to see what others think.

Really, I know bolt in cages are frowned upon, but I'd love to buy one that I can return the car to stock if I so felt the urge. It almost looks like if the bulge idea could work, then you could fab up a front section, and the two rear legs could bolt into the floor and into the half cage
There's a company that makes bolt-in cages, just not sure it would pass tech inspection for most clubs.