View Single Post
      04-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
sclui56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E86, IS-F, G42, G87

I came across a similar issue with my daughter’s 08 Coupe w/ NAV and premium sound last Christmas, the right channel would either produce static and/or had very low output, this of course happened intermittently.

I tried observing it more and it appeared that the symptoms only occurred when the CID unit was cold, once it “warmed” up either from the operation or the heat from the HVAC, the symptom was all but gone, one more thing – if I were to tap around the faceplate, I could also cause it to function properly. Could very well be a cracked PCB?

After reading countless posts, it seemed to point to the rear amp, which was a costly proposition I wasn’t ready to proceed with. Then I thought about it could be a loose connection inside the CID since the tapping made it go away. Started sourcing a replacement CID and the online prices were around $500+ and I had to return the core, all for a refurbished unit.

I ended up buying a CID from a parts car, the P/N predated my daughter’s by about 1 year but decided to give it a shot and prayed that there’s no coding required. The unit arrived and I swapped it, didn’t ask for a code and it worked fine controlling all the functions, no more problem with the right channel, and no need to code the vehicle.

I wanted to have the original unit repaired so that I would have a spare. The OEM repair facility told me that they also needed the vehicle since they didn’t have the proper harness so I decided to wait a bit, meanwhile, the repair person also told me that the output on these units are soldered on a daughterboard which cannot be easily repaired, he also suspected the board or some connections were fractured (as in hairline cracks), which then later made contact when expanded.

Not sure if your problem is the same but this swap worked for me.
Appreciate 0