View Single Post
      03-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #54
zeroselect
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
I am sorry but your "technique" or better yet lack there of is wrong. As I said before you wrong but prove to me that your way is right and I will believe you. Now I am not talking about you using your ill conceived logic to prove me wrong but instead a driving insturctor, pro race car driver or even some book about driving that explains the same technique you talk about. Please explain what if any the advantage of disconnecting the wheels from the drive train? The drive train acts like a brake in it self in slowing down the car and why you wouldn't want this to help with slowing down the car is beyond me. As O-cha mentioned go out in you car and go to a constant speed and push in the clutch don't use the brakes and see how long it takes you car to come to a stop. Next do the same thing but don't push in the clutch and see how long it takes the car to come to a stop. The car will come to a stop much fast if the clutch is not pushed in. You mentioned to me to bring up your "technique" in a drivers meeting and see what they have to say. I really don't have to do this because way back in the day when I took M School in SC with Donny Isly and Paul Mazzacane there wasa how class devoted to heel toeing so we could use the engine braking to help slow the car. It was explained over and over again how engine braking is an essential tool to help slow the car as fast as possible. Again I ask why EVERY driving school teaches a technique that is totally different the what you preach if it not the fastest way around a track? In fact every once in a while when I mis a gear on down shift on the track and I have to keep the clutch pushed in while I find the right gear I have to use way more brake and the braking distance is longer. This is because I have lost the additional braking that the drivetrain provides.

I am beginning to think you really are a troll but either way my god I hope I am not ever on the track with you if you really are for real.
This isn't Engine braking VS No Engine Braking but Engine Braking+Brakes VS No Engine Braking+Brakes.

The engine does slow down your car but with modern racing brake pads the friction goes beyond the capability of engine braking. That rotational force of the engine get to a point where the engine stop helping you brake and goes against slowing you down. Rather than just using the brakes for slowing down the kenetic energy of your car moving forward but now it also have to deal with the rotational energy of the the engine.
Spare Track: 93 Nissan 240sx
Appreciate 0