View Single Post
      05-26-2009, 07:46 AM   #30
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetx2 View Post
The headunit install looks VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY straight forward. You literally just need to buy a harness and splice into it and use the antennae adapter. The hardest part about the head unit it seems is to have to run all the wires to the kenwood components.

The speaker wiring is also very straight forward it seems. Apparently you can even use the wiring from the stock amp (according to "Reach"). It's been stated that you have to unclip the speaker wires from the stock amp anyways other wise you will have popping noises. The thing is you still need to keep the stock amp to keep the antennae functioning i believe.
just wanted to clarify and also give you a heads up. when i spliced in the harness, there was no constant power available (yellow wire) so i had to run the constant wire directly to an open spot on the fuse box. the constant power wire keeps the memory for the headunit i.e. time, radio settings etc. the yellow wire was there on the harness i purchased, but where it connected to on the BMW harness, it was not constant power.

also, if you plan to run the headunit wiring down to the stock wiring behind the floor speakers, you dont need to disconnect the harness at the back. since you will be cutting that connection anyway to connect the new wiring for the speakers.

another heads up, some headunits have a power antenna wire purposely for cars like ours that need power for it. but some headunits dont. if you dont have a power antenna wire coming from the headunit, connect the power antenna wire from the harness kit you purchased to the remote turn on wire from the headunit.
Appreciate 0