Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQM View Post
It's "following the instructions" as you put it before. The Timesert spark plug repair kits instruct you NOT to drill. I thought it would be worthwhile adding to your thread as being an aluminum pan, drilling wouldn't be necessary either. I don't know the last time you drilled aluminum, but as "physics" would have it the shavings tend to get flung around. For the sake of minimizing the possibility of metal shavings being put inside the oil pan and getting distributed somewhere throughout the rotating assembly, I personally wouldn't have drilled. To each their own, glad the Timesert worked out for you.
I know the post was lengthy and wordy but I did have this paragraph in it. I totally agree with you that power tools would just make the situation messy.

"Please note for the entire portion of the repair I only used a tap handle and avoided power tools. With a proper T shaped tap handle, you are in control and metal shavings will not fly up into your oil pan. I also used a heavy grease on all cutting and driving tools which helped me trap most of the shavings ."

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0