04-14-2015, 03:05 PM   #11
GQM
The Slip Angle
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 ///M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMOUPE View Post
You can not defy the rules of physics . If you have to fit an insert in the hole, x amount of original material has to be shaved off. You could skip a step by not drilling it, but the amount of shaving through tapping will increase.

It's "following the instructions" as you put it before. The Timesert spark plug repair kits instruct you NOT to drill. I thought it would be worthwhile adding to your thread as being an aluminum pan, drilling wouldn't be necessary either. I don't know the last time you drilled aluminum, but as "physics" would have it the shavings tend to get flung around. For the sake of minimizing the possibility of metal shavings being put inside the oil pan and getting distributed somewhere throughout the rotating assembly, I personally wouldn't have drilled. To each their own, glad the Timesert worked out for you.
2007 BMW Z4 ///M Coupe | 1993 Mazda RX-7 Turbocharged 417 whp | 1999 Mazda Miata All Motor 185 whp | 1991 Mazda Miata N/A 13b PPort | 2003 Honda S2000 All Motor 238 whp | 2006 Mazda RX-8 | 1998 Lexus LX470 | www.instagram.com/garagequinnmotors
Appreciate 0