View Single Post
      03-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #31
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
Search his post history - he's almost being civil by his standards.

I'll be the guy to say it - you're right, your husband's wrong. Before I bought my BMWs, I sort of collected Porsches; I had a 911, a 944, and a 928S, all red/black, all from 1983. Of the 3, my favorite was the 944. Some of that preference was that it was light, had excellent balance, and had a better transmission than the 911. Some of it was that it only had 150hp, meaning that in real-life, real-world driving, it was the one that I got to wring out and enjoy without the fear of going to prison, for which I'm entirely to good-looking.

When I decided to sell the Porsches, I bought two 5-speed BMWs - a 2003 325i and 2003 Z4 2.5i, and I enjoyed them quite a bit. I went with the 2.5L inline six because I knew that I'd get to enjoy wringing the cars out a bit more than if I had the 330i and Z4 3.0i and I was right. There's a lot to be said for being able to use all the rpms of a small displacement engine - just ask Honda.

So, how'd I wind up with a Z4 M Coupe? I bought the Z4MC because I love the Z4 design and the M Coupe is the ultimate expression of it, so I had to have one even if I almost never get to take it to its limits (and on the typical club track day, that'd be difficult), same as with the 911 and 928. I'd never give the car up, as there's more to like about it than all-out performance, but I'm actually considered getting a 2.5L Boxster or 944/968 cab for summer "fun drives."

In truth, any experienced racer will tell you fun is barely related to horsepower, which is why there are racing series formed around the Miata and old 944s. Most Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and Porsche 911s spend their lives driven at 2/10ths of their performance potential because, as much as we all admire that performance, there are few places and fewer people that can see it unleashed properly; that's why so many Enzos and Carrera GTs have been wrecked.
That sounds nice, but seriously, can you honestly say you enjoyed your Z4 2.5i more than your M coupe? More power is almost always more fun. I have had a Miata, Boxster 2.7, S2K and now Z4MR. While all of them were fun, the power of the M makes the car even more so!
Appreciate 0