View Single Post
      05-06-2014, 12:45 AM   #4
brother i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '06 Alpine White Z4MR

Cool

Using an L-bar instead of a piece of curtain rod - that's what I had initially, but for that I needed to screw it into place (every time I wanted to get a fix-it ticket signed off). This actually seems more secure, as using a single screw with a sturdy-ass (but significantly heavier) piece of metal seemed to put quite a bit of stress on that single screw. I wanted something easily removable, and slide-in - slide-out variant of curtain rod works nicely.

I haven't seen the car driven on the freeway without me being in it since I made the plate mount - so can't really tell if it moves... It does have some side-to-side play as it is, mounted in a single location. Didn't come off though on a 15mi drive home when I forgot to take it off a few times :-)

Like I said, more sturdy solution would have been to buy two curtain rods - and use them at each hole of the license plate. Potentially trickier to put in though, as you'd need to align both sides (not a biggie though I'd imagine, just put one in and align the other by feeling under the bumper). Maybe I'll do it one day... Or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
How sturdy is it? Does is move under freeway winds?

That metal strip you have mounted to the lower part of the license plate... Did you consider buying a longer one of those and bending it into an L? Might be studier.
Appreciate 0