View Single Post
      12-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Wheel Bolts Won't Tighten?

So I've always used oem wheels (and bolts) for the first 1.5 years of owning a coupe. I had the 18" summer wheels that came with the car as well as a 17" square setup for the winter (also oem).

Just recently a few months ago I purchased a set of SSR wheels (correct fitment/application for the BMW). Those wheels came with new bolts so I used those. That day, I had the wheels / tires delivered to a local shop where they mounted & balanced everything for me.

Yesterday evening, I took the SSRs off to put on my 17" oem setup. I noticed 2 things. One, the guys at the shop had tightened the bolts way too hard but whatever I got them off fine. But when I put the winter wheels on with oem bolts, I noticed that they wouldn't as tighten as easily as they normally would. It's almost like the bolts on the SSRs had de-threaded or re-threaded the hub? Eventually I was able to tighten the wheels but it just took way too many attempts. It's like everytime I thought it was tight, I was able to tighten it even more. I drove around the block to be safe, everything seemed fine... but anyone know what's going on?