RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
The guys are very likely right in their assessments of the issue. it would be nice though, for your peace of mind, to bring the car to a reputable dealer (not your local one) for confirmation and to see if anything else is going on. You're in Texas I see. Is it practical to bring the car to an alternate dealer in Houston or Dallas?
Perhaps, but that means I'd have to miss work a few days which I can't really do right now. I may just have to though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
What you've described are symptoms of a steering angle sensor issue. It's on the I/K buss along with the multi-function module for your steering wheel controls, the audio system, the instrument cluster, etc. When mine was acting up I had no function of the steering wheel buttons, the turn signals, I had several IC warning lights come on, and no controls on the audio system worked. Might have been more issues, but those are what surfaced immediately. Fortunately reloading the firmware into the SAS fixed the issue, so it didn't have to be replaced.
Ok wow I thought I was the only one having these issues. Dumb this down for me if you don't mind please; I/K buss? Reloading firmware into the SAS? As you can tell, I'm not educated on this. maybe there's a thread on this..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
I also have issues with turn signals and radio non functioning along with all other "body electrics" like PDL, PW, PT, horn
My headlights and Fogs are also affected ie only DTRL work.
Tried a known good GM5 module with zero change.
I will be giving the ignition switch a try next.

At least BMW put some fail safes in for this occurrence as the indicators taillights and brake lights still function.

I will be taking at to a local indy shop in the spring for diagnosis if the ignition switch replacement doesn't work.

Wouldn't trade/sell my zed for the world though
You know, id hate to sell mine too, but I've been outside of the gym for one hour and 40 minutes now because my key isn't going in again, not even forcing it in. It's crap like this that makes me just wanna get rid of it instantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted 1 View Post
Same thing happened to my e39 m5. I had to get the ignition switch replaced and steering column, and an 03 steering wheel and airbag. It would also not let me lock the doors, my drls didn’t work and ac blower went haywire and a few other gremlins. Once I replaced the column and ignition (along with alternator and battery and final stage resistor) it has worked fine since.

Now that I think of it, I updated the steering wheel at the same time so it may have had something to do with the airbag.
I'm gonna be buying a new steering wheel soon or have mine redone, however, I'll be using the same airbag I currently have. It'd be wise to skip on the wheel mod and repair these issues though
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0