View Single Post
      11-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #7
ApexWheels
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You guys rock, by the way. I've always been very impressed with the amount of effort you all put in to engage the customers and the understanding of the marketplace as it stands. You all probably don't hear this enough, but great job. Keep it up.

You are absolutely correct that I won't be able to stuff a squared setup at ET22. Currently I run 2 of the rear wheels up front to square it up, with -3.5º of camber using a combination of camber bolts and camber plate, on Ground Control "Track/School" kit designed for the MZ4 Coupe*. On the same 9.0"/ET30 wheels I run 275/35/R18 Maxxis RC-1 compound.

My future plans are a little murky as it stands. Originally I thought I had a bunch of vested shares from a company I worked for a while back that had FINALLY gone IPO. As it turns out, I had forgotten to pay the strike price within a certain period and those shares went right back into the general pool. Sucks to be me. Had I vested and cashed out, I would have gone all out with a set of MCS with remote reservoir on Swift springs. Alas that's not going to happen.

So the likely recourse is to wait for the bonus check to clear, and see about pulling a few "industry favors" and see if my contact at KW can get me a set of Club Sport at an industry "friends and family" discount.

But that's neither here nor there. Neither option would dictate what tires I run, because those tires are already sitting in my garage. Currently, the options are to run either the same Maxxis RC-1 at 275/35/R18 on the "new" set of tires, and put a set of 265/35/R18 Achilles 123S on the OE wheels (with running 2 rears up front so they remain squared) and use that as the street tire. Or I would just say "screw it" and keep the Maxxis RC-1 as the "street tire" (they're shockingly street friendly. As long as it doesn't rain) on the OE rims, and drop a set of Achilles GS 328 27/65-18 on the Apex SM-10 and cross my fingers that it would work (Achilles approved rim sizes are 10.5"-11.5" on these slicks).

* The GC front strut appears to be a set of Koni shock inserts installed and welded into a stock housing. I say appears because I'm not 100% certain but it's got Koni style adjusters and the strut housing appears stock-ish.

Really appreciate the positive feedback sir, and sorry to hear about your misfortune with your company shares .

It sounds like you have a good understanding of your options, and it is just a matter of which route you decide to take. Keep in mind that the KW clubsports, although equipped with linear springs, still present inner clearance issues with wide wheels and tires. The lack of inner clearance is a common issue with all BMW chassis and the KW line up.

- Ryan