12-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
I've resigned myself to the fact that the stock 1M is a faster car than the Z4M (1M is easily tunable too). I'm a bit angry that the Z4M was short changed with mostly stock body work, while the plebeian 1 series gets outrageously wide fenders (wider than e92 M3?!!) and an outlandish body kit.

I guess the cohesion of the Z4's lines don't lend well to just increasing the width of the fenders and it would be cost-prohibitive for such a low volume car, but COME ON...I would have liked a wide body of some sort separating the Z4M from the other Zs.

Anyway...I think the M coupes looks much more classy than this thing, but I'm willing to bet that the 1M will be somewhat of a collectors item in the future.
I agree with everything stated here

I think the 1M will outperform the Z4M stock for stock. The 1M looks pretty beastly, but overall, not as good as the Z4MC imho (just my personal preference perhaps? )

The argument that the 135i can be tuned to beat a 1M without the price tag is only partially true imo. What makes an ///M is the all-around package. Not just the motor, but the transmission, seats, perhaps chassis bracing, body kit, suspension, wheels/tires, tighter steering ratio, LSD, etc. etc.
I still think the price tag is too high overall for any newly-bought BMW, but in terms of the usual margin over a non-M sibling, I think it's still quite a bargain especially in this market niche.
If given a choice, I would not take a 135i over the 1M, even if it were thousands cheaper, and theoretically I could build one up. But that's just me. I've own both an M & non-M, and I also have a turbocharged car, albeit only a 4-banger, and I truly feel that the M cars are worth the extra dough. I just would stay away from buying any car brand new lolll. Worst investment ever. Used though or cost? DEFINITELY. Without a doubt in my mind!

And this affirms my opinion lol:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
It looks great, but the N54 does nothing for me- my opinion after getting out of a modded 335i and into an M3.

I don't care if the Z4 M Coupe is slower, I don't think any BMW out there can touch the raw character that make it such a great drivers car.
Appreciate 0