Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thez4 View Post
Thanks very much for the replies!!

Right now I am thinking of just getting 2 replacement wheels and 4 new tires. I am looking for something like a CSL wheel where it would look like an OEM wheel but I am not sure where to get it.

If I have to go for stock wheels and pay $700 for the pair, would you recommend to go for 4 new after market wheels from tirerack? Also, any suggestions on good ones? I definitely do not want to lose my BMW center cap ;-)

18'' vs 17'' ? How much difference does it make in the drive? I am not that much of a performance driver but looking for a very smooth and noise free drive.
"Good" is probably anything we can't afford, lol. Tire Rack has some ASA wheels that are the CSL style that fit well and cost about the same for a set of 4 as a pair of the OEM wheels. I put some on my coupe and they fit well; the stock BMW center caps didn't fit well (at least the ones that came on my 07) - they went in OK but didn't completely seat - but I found some others from Tischer the fit just right.

BBS wheels are often the "preferred" aftermarket rims, but will cost anywhere from $300+ to 1200 each depending upon how "good" one wants to get. Most anything that Tirerack offers will be fine for the street; you don't need to be overly picky about them being ultra light/strong/$$$ - go with what appeals to your taste and wallet.

Another option that's popular for a budget priced CSL style wheel is from Velocity Motor Sports which are retailed thru suppliers such as **********s.com and European Auto Source.

As to size, your 17's will be fine with the ride being much better than the stock RFT's; 18's will trade a bit of ride for a bit sharper handling, but the ride will still be better than the RFT's. 17's will be a bit cheaper for both wheels and tires if that's a factor, but either will be just fine for general street/sporting driving; many move to 18's (or 19's or even 20's) more for appearance than any particular function, so it's mostly up to you and your preferences. Generally, the bigger the wheel, the heavier and more expensive it is, ride harshness will go up and as does risk of wheel damage from potholes, etc. - the taller sidewall of the 17's give more cushion to the wheels as well as to your butt.
Appreciate 0