View Single Post
      07-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #14
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

Sigh.

I have read this exact thread from 2007 on this board after researching the problem as it has occurred in my car at the same frequency before and after the cdv modification. The only definitive solution is a transmission replacement (doh!). I have tried all manner of shifting technique finesse etc to no avail. The truth is a sticker price 57k sports car should have absolutely no difficulty quickly shifting from 1st to 2nd at any rpm, period.

I'm no mechanic, but from what I gather the problem has something to do with the synchros. Mine was sitting on the floor for 2 years before I bought it in late '08 with probably a few hundred jaggofs having banged the shifter around, who knows what the effect was. As it is a difficult problem to reproduce, the dealer ofcourse looked at me like an idiot when I brought it to them despite the fact that I printed out the threads from 2007 in which several people wound up having their transmission replaced and in fact listed the part number for the new transmission (I got the old "Don't believe everything you read on the internet my friend."). Frustrating, but not difficult to understand their perspective as I could see myself saying the same thing in their shoes. Fortunately my service department staff have been great since day one and agreed to get in touch with BMW NA to find out about the problem. I am scheduled to have a new transmission installed next month. Halla-f*ckin-lullah.

What I did not mention and what is the most alarming thing about the transmission problem is that after I get the grind, if I then come to a complete stop and try to put the car into first, I find that I am locked out and am sitting there like a jackoff in my 60k sports car that I cannot get to move. In the meantime people are looking at me like I am some kind of ass hole who doesn't know how to drive his father's sports car. I have to shut the thing off, cycle through all the gears, and then turn it back on again which resets it. This is an element that I have yet to hear another z4 m owner complain of, and hope not to.

Anyhow, I decided I would sell the car if they didn't fix the problem, and this proclamation seemed to move things along when I spoke with the BMW NA representative, who was very nice by the way.

Good luck with your situation. I'm still happy I bought the car but holding my breath until after the tranny transplant.

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0