View Single Post
      08-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
mister_roger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Maldives Blue 2.5i

Front Bumper Removal - DIY by mister_roger

In my recent project of converting my standard Z4 bumper to a Z4M front bumper, I decided it would be good time to also create a new DIY for removing the front bumper. The old DIY (http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63034), as descriptive as it may be, has dead links to its pictures.

So with intention to provide our community with a new resource, here is my writeup for a standard Z4 front bumper removal:

Overview:
First you need to understand how the front bumper is attached to the body. It is held on by 7 hex screws along the top edge in the engine compartment, 4 expanding tabs along each fenderwell, and 7 8mm screws along the underside of the front bumper edge. The sides of the bumper snap into place where it meets with the fender.

Tools required:
-Screwdriver with hex bits -or- allen wrench crank tool from BMW tool kit.
-Tiny screwdriver (size of a toothpick)
-8mm socket or wrench
-confidence

Step 1:

Start by removing the expanding tabs along each fenderwell. These tabs function by having a small plastic rod become inserted down the middle, causing the tab to expand and lock in place. To remove these tabs, take the tiny screwdrive and PUSH the rods all the way in until you hear them fall. Don't worry, you'll be able to recover them when the bumper is removed.

Now it's loose

Remove the 7 remaining tabs from both fender wells in the same manner.

Step 2:

Remove the 7 8mm screws/bolts along the underside of the front bumper. These are pretty straightforward.

Step 3:

Pull off the sides of the bumper where it meets the fender. You may have to give it some force, but after some firm pulls and it should eventually pop off.

Step 4:

Remove the 7 hex screws along the top edge of the front bumper. This should be done last, because these 7 screws are all that's holding your bumper in place at this point. Using your Screwdriver with hex bit, simply remove the screws. Watch out, they may be a little tight.

OPTION 2: If you do not have a hex screwdriver handy (like i did), I discovered that this allen-wrench crank tool thingy from the supplied emercency tool kit actually fits into the hex screws. It's not intended for this use though, because you run the risk of stripping out the allen head when it turns against the teeth in the hex screw. But as long as you're careful and don't overdo it, this tool should be able to get these screws out. This tool is made from pretty strong metal.

Step 5:

With all the screws and hardware removed, gently pull the bumper forward a bit and disconnect the fog light harnesses (if you have fog lights). The bumper should now pull completely forward and is no longer attached to the body.

Make sure you save this piece as well, which runs along the top edge where the hex screws were.

With the bumper removed, you should see the 4 expanding tab pins that dropped. Save them for use later.

Reinstalling the bumper is the exact same process in reverse order. The expanding tabs are placed in their holes, and the pins inserted afterwards to lock them into place.

And that is how it's done.

Best,

-Roger

Last edited by mister_roger; 08-24-2007 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0