Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexhittinbull View Post
I am about to embark this Vanos DIY in coming week, I bought all the tools required less the box with 4 switches but have some Questions for experienced hands.

1)-Do I remove whole fan supporting metal frames to begin the job? There is about an inch of gap between it and the Vanos unit. What do I need to remove other than obvious plastic cover with BMW emblem on it?

-Some say removing engine and tranny mount and jacking it up to be able to pull the Vanos? I do not want to go this way.

2)I bought the S54 Cam Alignment tool kit which comes with TDC crankshaft lock pin, And I read that these need to be cut to fit on our E85/6 cars due to lack of space? Is this true, shall I go to the machine shop to cut the pin 2/3 of way?

Any other things to watch for other than dropping sockets and bolts into oil pan, and taking it slow at a time will be appreciated.

Thanks !
You need to remove the fan but you don't need to remove the frame structure. No need to jack up the engine either. The below link will take you to a document where I compiled a post from Kapt. His original photo links weren't working so I just put it into one clean document. It explains the process specific to the Z4M, I plan on using this with the Beisan write ups to do the job this coming spring..

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...PLgtZFOI5g1QJI
Appreciate 1