View Single Post
      04-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #18
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

Hey guys! Sorry, for some reason I didn't realize this discussion was ongoing. I think it's because my iPad stopped signing me in so I wasn't getting the notifications.

To answer the question regarding shoulder belt angle, yes, from what I understand straighter is better. Somewhere between +10 degrees and -15 degrees from horizontal. Unfortunately, there isn't really a good way to achieve that without cutting or removing significant interior bits and I just am not willing to do that with this car. Maybe one day, but not for now. I think the shoulder belts are pretty much just as functional though due to the size and shape of the harness pass throughs on my (Recaro Pole Position) seat. Because the top of the hole is lower than on say a SPG XL it ends up keeping the belt lower off my shoulder and therefore straighter. I'm sure this could vary significantly with body type and seat model/style. I have a standard sized pole position and I'm 5' 9" and my shoulders fall in just the right spot.

Overall, I am still very happy with my bar and I don't think I would do anything differently. It fits my needs perfectly in terms of having a solid place to mount a barness for autocross driving while at the same time having little impact on the use ability of the car and being totally and easily reversible. Maybe the only other worthwhile note is that you do lose rearward seat movement space with a bar of this style although, it is not an issue with a race seat since the net gain by having a thinner backed seat still ends up increasing room overall. The only time I even think about it is if someone tall rides in my passenger seat (stock seat) and then they try to scoot the seat back and just press it into the bar.