Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Lol, yeah definitely more than 500 but the 4.10 is nice.
If you track the car though you need to consider where you run the car, if it's suitable or not.
I've never taken my own car to the track but of of curiosity, what are those kinds of restrictions for? I understand noise level and stuff but I know there's some really weird ones.
Mostly if you'll run out of revs and hit redline in certain sections. I wouldn't want to have to upshift to 5th on the long straight at my favorite track. I'd rather just stay in fourth and on the throttle. With a 4.10 I'd have to go to 5th or hit the rev limiter.

A shift would mean getting off the throttle for a moment (that's going to cost me time), and having to downshift to fourth and brake from 125 to 130 to 85 to 90. It's kind of hairy going from those speeds into a that corner and heel toeing badly isn't going to be fun, at those speeds you're seriously going to unsettle the car, and not do the drivetrain or diff any favors! I'm also learning to left foot brake that corner (smoother transition) not something I can do if I've got to downshift from 5th-4th. (*** Pats self on back for pulling that off on 1/3 of laps last weekend*** )

On a different track, the 4.10 might offer some torque advantages and offer a better match for the type of speeds you'd be seeing in corners and between them. On some tracks the speed range for a particular gear might be more optimal with a different ratio.

See here and you'll get a better picture. Always trade offs!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...60&postcount=1
Appreciate 1