08-08-2016, 07:34 PM   #11
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHo View Post
So, could you elaborate on your "swap"? The what and how of it? Pros and Cons? I've thought of this but waiting to hear from people who actually did it.
For sure, basically my shop suggested it to me because I was talking about how I love to shift in this car, wish the gearing was shorter and wished for a bit more low end torque. But I wasn't about to do a transmission swap or FI.

Long story short, the shop had a 3.46 diff lying around he was going to sell. I gave him my 3.07 and I took his. Took him a few hours, he replaced all the seals, plugs, fluid and anything that was replaceable for 500 bucks ($380 US) all in.

I'm the kind of guy that believes most mods aren't justified financially, but in this case it's the best money I ever spent on a car.

Pros:
- Car feels lighter with more immediate torque response.
- I've read through a few sites that on paper it's supposed to be about 20-30 more pd/ft of torque to the wheels. But on my butt dyno it feels like 40-60.
- More shifting though not annoyingly so.
- On the highway you'll be closer to the power band in 6th gear so you don't have to downshift to over take someone.

Cons:
- On the at 120 kmh (70mph) i'm at about 2,900 rpm and before I was at about 2,350. Which to be honest I don't even notice.. And I haven't noticed a decrease in fuel efficiency either. Maybe an extra couple bucks but I don't care.

The way I know for a FACT this increases wheel torque: My DSC light very rarely came on when I pushed this car and now it's very often, meaning the sensors are picking up more torque than before. Also with all of the assists turned off, she's much more tail happy.
Appreciate 0