Uncle Russ
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimolaoha View Post
Mine's also 5hp, which is actually pretty heavy duty compared to most residential shop vacs. Sounds like you had a compacted mess in there.

It's beginning to look to me like the only effective way of cleaning these tubes with the top in situ is to blow compressed air from the bottom of each tube, and then to verify proper drainage by pouring water down the back of the top and gauging the outflow from the two egress points.

I wonder if a 'snake' auger would work or whether there are too many twists and turns in the drains?
When I cleaned mine (and I'm not really sure if my cleaning was effective) I ran a plastic stick up them to create a hole and then tried to blow compressed air up them as well but didn't really have a good angle to do so. The next time I do it, I'm thinking about using a bamboo skewer. It has a sharp end and is strong yet flexible.

My car lives in my garage unless I'm out and about and I'm always careful to blow away any debris on or near my top. I still think I have slow drains caused by the previous owner but short of taking the top off, I'm not sure what else I can do.