03-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
builthatch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 Subaru STI five door

thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Any car you buy...ANY CAR....can turn into a lemon. That's what we risk by buying any used car.
a lemon isn't my worry. it just so happens that these cars tend to have more expensive hiccups than the other cars i'm considering (IS F, 370z). a more appropriate statement from my experiences would be that anything can happen at any time, hence my affinity for protection. nickel and dime stuff...stuff that lemons normally experience...if it gets bad, you fix it and sell it.

Quote:
If you can't afford to maintain a 5,000 mile car NOW, when do you expect to be able to have the cash to maintain it? Warranties, no matter which one you get, will only cover a few years.
i'm not worried about maintenance. i'm worried about spending 38k and having something major grenade on a car that many times does come with a CPO or BMW gold warranty, but this one doesn't. desire to not afford doesn't equal "can't afford". it's not a comfortable parlay in my eyes because the car could be a CPO and make me comfortable, or it could have received the gold extended plan before the warranty ran out, but it has neither of those (like other cars this price do) and therefore the risk's value isn't justified to me.

and a few years is fine. it's better than a couple...or none. i don't plan on being buried in the car!

Quote:
Realistically, get a good PPI done. If it checks out, save a little cash in the bank for your first repair. THEN FIND A GOOD INDEPENDENT MECHANIC.

Outside of a catastrophic engine failure or blowing your transmission, there really isn't any repair that should cost more than $2,000.
the car has 4,998 miles. it was seen in the late fall by BMW (the service records are very thorough and complete, all at Thompson BMW in PA) and was driven a few more miles here and there but it has received less than 100 miles since its last service. a PPI will tell me the car is incredible, i have no doubt about that.

what you mentioned about a catastrophic engine failure or blown transmission is exactly what i'm worried about, at least moreso than other strange anomolies that would be covered if it did have a warranty. your point about finding a strong independent mechanic is a good one. i totally agree. unfortunately i live in an area where that sort of thing is unavailable. i'd have to travel over an hour to have access to someone worthy. i would do that if i had to, definitely.

i should share that if it were 35k as opposed to 38k, maybe i would be more inclined to take the risk because the scale would tip more toward a value in my eyes, but i have little faith this guy is going to move very far.

we'll see. i'm checking it out on Wednesday.
Appreciate 0