View Single Post
      05-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Rear Differential/Axle Leak

I was under the car yesterday and noticed this (see photos). The first area is on the passenger side by the differential where the axle connects to the diff. The second is a bit further up on the passenger side and on what I believe is the gas tank (it does not smell like petrol and is more lubricant-like). There are no drips or anything of that nature on my garage floor and no odd sounds (compared to Skelekitty's car). Nothing like this under hers which is clean as a whistle. The driver's side axle/diff shows something similar as well, but not as pronounced.

My major worry is that the reason things are not dripping is because there is nothing left to drip which would not bode well for the lifespan of the diff. I guess I could remove the top fill hole and check for fluid (no idea on the procedure there ).

The car is still under warranty, so it's off to the dealer with it I guess. I have a good SA and shop, but I'd like some opinions on what I'm seeing here and a recommended course of action from those who are more mechanically/technically savvy than I am before doing so. Good dealer or not you never know what it will be like the next visit, and I would prefer to be prepared/knowledgeable before going.

Any thoughts, ideas, advice, recommendations or you guys can offer?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0