View Single Post
      06-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
Stromtech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i 6-speed Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loogey Clapp View Post
I have been considering switching to non-RFTs when I need to get some tires. Especially because of all the discussion of tramlining which I notice on certain parts of I-5. Last time I was at the BMW Parts Center at my dealer, I was talking to the guy behind the counter about tramlining, switching to non-RFTs and getting the Mobility Kit. He said that tramlining is NOT caused by the RFT tires but instead caused by sport tires. There are so many people on this forum that have been driving Z4s for years that swear it is the RFTs that cause tramlining and I tend to believe them over one person behind the parts counter. However, now he has me wondering...
He is correct when he tells you that some 'sport' (aka: Low profile) tires can contribute to tramlining but the stiff sidewalls of the RFT tires aggravate the problem tremendously.
I switched to Continental Extreme Contact DWS and my tramlining is totally gone. The DWS tires are smoother and quieter and give superb traction.
The added benefit is that I will have great traction below 40 degrees instead of 4 hockey pucks.
Ask yourself why BMW does not install RFTs on the Z4M but instead uses real performance tires and provides the M a tire inflation kit for emergencies. I carry a can of Slime fix-a-flat, a small Slime pump and a plug kit (all of which I carried and never used on my motorcycle)
Appreciate 0